Table Of Contents
8.40+: Connecting to Linux API server awareness
- Here are some frequently asked questions to address why 8.40 ReST APIs are changed
- Beginning with 8.40, IxNetwork will redirect your ReST API commands to a different ReST API internally
- If the client-side tool that you're using doesn't support redirect automatically, you will get an error
- The ReST API is redirected to a URI that includes ixnetworkweb preceeding /api/v1/sessions
- Before 8.40: https://192.168.70.144/api/v1/sessions/1
- 8.40 and beyond: https://192.168.70.144/ixnetworkweb/api/v1/sessions/1
What is going to happen if I use my existing ReST APIs on 8.40
- The API server will return a status code 307.
- This means the API that you entered needs to be redirected to a different URI location.
Will I get an error
- This depends on your client-side utility.
- The Python requests module will handle the redirects automatically and you won't encounter any error.
- Not every utility handles redirects automatically.
- The ReST API client side utilities that we provide in OpenIxia uses the Python requests module.
What do I have to do if my client-side utility doesn't automatically handles redirects
- Verify for status code 307 and get the response.json()['header']['Location']
- And re-enter the ReST API command using the returned value
What will the API server return if I entered my existing ReST APIs
- Enter: https://192.168.70.144/api/v1/auth/session
- API server response:
- HTTP/1.1 307 Temporary Redirect
- Location: /ixnetworkweb/api/v1/auth/session?redirectedFromDeprecatedApi=true
- You could either enter the above Location ReST API or /ixnetworkweb/api/v1/auth/session
- Both will work.
Step 1 of 3: Connect To The Linux API Server
Step 2 of 3: Create a new session
- Using the API-KEY provided by the new connection above
Step 3 of 3: Start the new session
Configure license server IP
- If your chassis is an XGS LinuxOS based chassis and if you activated your licenses in the chassis, then you
won't need to configure the license server details.
- If your license details are not configured in the chassis, then you need to configure the license server.
At this point, every ReST API command must include the x-api-key in the HEADERS.
To STOP the session ID
You must do this before DELETING the session ID)
To DELETE the session ID